Friday, August 2, 2013

Good bye Marrakesh and all it's Colors

The longer I'm away from Marrakesh the fonder my memories become. I'm not sure why. I have been thinking about it a lot. It was such an escape from my life. From everything I'm accustomed to.  I know I loved the warm days and cool nights. I know I loved the colors that so were bright and cheerful. But it goes further than that. So I'll keep thinking about it.  Who knows where it will take me.
"They are the colors of the desert"
When we were being driven through the country I asked the driver, "Why do all the buildings have such similar colors?"  He shrugged his shoulders and said "they are the colors of the desert".

Food Stand Marrakesh, Morocco
 Colors in Marrakesh are interesting because when they are natural things the colors are muted. When they are man made they are bright as if they were willing the earth to bring forth more color.  It was hard to tell who was winning.
Pottery in Marrakesh
                                                  The colors where fun and full of energy,
Woven Baskets in Marrakesh, Morocco
                                   only matched by the fabulous patterns woven with them.
Woven Rugs in Marrakesh, Morocco
                                   
Souk des Teinturiers, Marrakesh, Morocco
   The dyers choose a different dye color each day. 
In this way they keep each color pure and bright.
 The colors they dye make a wonderful contrast
 to the hot dreary rooms they have to work in. 
Souk des Teinturiers, Marrakesh, Morocco

Marrakesh, Morocco

These scarfs were not just for tourists to purchase. I found it was interesting how many natives frequented the different stands.The women wore these beautiful colored scarfs over their heads.


Essaouria, Morocco

    The clothes people wore also brightened up their muted landscape.The women wore two layers of clothing.  The first layer was always hidden, but the small glimpses I could get let me know they wore clothing that looked more like what we wear in the west. The second layer was always a bright colored long dress with slits in the sides which allowed their hands to reach their under layer of clothing.



Horse and Cart, Marrakesh, Morocco
I'll leave my month of blogging about Marrakesh 
at this picture with the sun setting on Djemma el-Fna square
and a carriage waiting for you when you arrive. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...