Monday, November 5, 2012

Inspiration and Vincent Van Gogh

Inspiration can be found anywhere and can move you in many different directions. I love when I get caught up in something that inspires me, it's an exciting feeling that gives me a sense of freedom.

I was looking through Vincent Van Gogh's art when I found a perfect example of inspiration.

 In 1872 Ukiyo-e wood prints dating from 1860 c started arriving in Paris from Japan. They eventually fell into the hands of some French impressionist painters bring on a fire storm of inspiration.



Starting a trend in art called Japonisme (a French term for the influence of Japanese art on the west.) Here's how it affected Vincent Van Gogh.

                                                The Bridge in the Rain (after Hiroshige) 1887

                                                        Japonaiserie (after Hiroshige) 1887  

                                                     Japonaiserie Oiran (after Kesai Eisen) 1887

When Vincent was alive he only sold one painting yet he kept painting, following his heart. He has a quote "I cannot help it that my pictures do not sell. Nevertheless, the time will come when people will see that they are worth more than the price of the paint." .... Now they sell for millions.

Blossoming Almond Tree 1890
As an artist I know how hard and exciting it can be to paint what you believe in even if it doesn't sell, to follow your heart and your inspiration while gallery owners ask you for landscapes and try to keep you locked into a painting style. I think we can all take a lesson from Vincent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...